Monday, November 5, 2012

Observation #3 October 31, 2012

Observation #3 on October 31, 2012
            On October 26, 2012 Dr. McFarland inserted one Beta Food Pellet into my MicroAquarium. My observation (s) took place on October 31, 2012 at approximately 2:15 p.m. My observation (s) took place in the usual room 202 of the Hesler Biology Building on The University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s campus with the help of Dr. McFarland. Just like in my last observation, I used a CH30 Olympus microscope, a Sony Camera (HDR-HC9), and a Dell Computer. I also used the corresponding remote to snap images of interesting organisms that I found throughout my observation To observe I removed the stand and lid from the MicroAquarium tank. Then I carefully laid the tank on the microscope stage with the open end away from me.  Since October 23, 2012 (my last observation) and with the Beta Food Pellet added on October 26th, there were a lot more organisms that were visible than there were in the previous observations. To help identify organisms Dr. McFarland and I used the book, An Illustrated Guide to the Protozoa.

            The first organism that I observed is related to the Amoebas. I observed this using a Nikon Japan lense (40). Dr. McFarland helped me identify that it was of the Genus Microcorycia (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). This organism possesses a finger like structure that pops out. However, during my observation (s) the organism did not pop the structure out.  It was very still. This was the only one of the organism that I seen while observing. Below is an image of the organism edited with Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0.
 


            The second organism that I observed was a Stentor sp. (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). To me, it looks like a trumpet. Individual cilia were pushing water into its funnel during my observation(s) of it. I observed and captured a picture of it using the Nikon lense. Below is an image of the Stentor organism edited using Photoshop. I combined two shots of the organism the top picture shows it upclose under the Nikon lense and the bottom image attached shows the Stentor sp. under the EF 10 (1.25) lense.
 


            The third organism that I observed was a Halteria sp. (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). There were a lot of them. The organism moved so quickly. On the outer surface of the Halteria there were cilia flowing. I saw the specific organism that I captured a photo of towards the bottom near the mud.

 

            The fourth organism that I observed was a Litonotus sp. (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). Notice in the image below the vacuole on the back end. According to Dr. McFarland, it is a contractual vacuole that gets rid of excess water in the cell. This organism moved very quickly and I seen about 3 or 4 throughout my observation (s).
 


            The fifth organism that I observed was very still. It is an Arcella sp. (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). It just layed and kept very stiff in the middle of nowhere.
 


            The final organism that I observed was an Amoeba Radiosa sp. (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985). This organism catches its observer’s eye as you can see in the image below. While I was observing this organism it moved at medium speed in the middle of the aquarium. Dr. McFarland said during my observation(s), “It can become one of your worst nightmares at night if you think about it too long.”
 
 

            Overall, this was my favorite observation out of all because I found a lot of organisms. I’m sure there were more, but the Genus Microcorycia, Stentor sp., Halteria sp., Litonotus sp., Arcella sp., and the Amoeba Radiosa sp were the ones that Dr. McFarland and I received the chance to capture. Like instructed on my last observation(s), at the end of my observation(s) to replace the water that may have been lost somehow, I added more to it with the clear water bottle that he provided.

 

 

References (CBE Style):

 Bovee E, Lee J, Lynn D, Small E. 1985. An Illustrated Guide to the Protozoa. 80 p., 91 p., 107 p., 132 p., 139p.

 Citation: (Bovee, Lee, Lynn, and Small 1985)

 
Cook R, McFarland K. 2013. General Botany 111 Laboratory Manual. 14th ed, Knoxville (TN).155-157 p.


Citation: (Cook and McFarland 2013)

 
McFarland K. Botany 111 Fall 2012. [Internet]. 2012. Available from: http://botany1112012.blogspot.com/


Citation: (McFarland 2012)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment