Monday, October 29, 2012

Observation #2 10/23/12


Below is an image of my MicroAquarium that I took before I started my second Observation using my LG Beacon phone.


My second observation occurred on October 23, 2012 at approximately 5 o clock p.m. with the assistance of Dr. McFarland in room 202 of the Hesler Biology Building on The University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s campus. It lasted until about 6:15 p.m. The materials that were used during this observation were a CH30 Olympus microscope, a Sony Camera (HDR-HC9), and a Dell Computer. The Sony camera was hooked up to the microscope and was used to project the images through the Dell computer screen. A corresponding remote was also used to snap images of interesting organisms that I found throughout my observation. Moreover, the microscope contained an EA 4 lense, an EA 10 lense, and a very special lense which was an exclusive Nikon Japan lense (.55LWD). To observe I removed the stand and lid from the MircroAquarium tank. Then I carefully laid the tank on the microscope stage with the open end away from me. I first observed some little organisms that had cilia hair-like organelles which Dr. McFarland later told me were only ciliates. The ciliates were moving throughout the aquarium in no specific order. The next organism that I observed was an Actinosphaerium (Hedley and Patterson 1996).   It is a multinucleated heliozoon and is related to Actinophrys (Hedley and Patterson 1996). It appeared to be floating throughout. The final organism that I observed on that day was an Oscillatoria Splendida (Forest 1954). This organism had a photosynthetic bacterial sheath around it, according to Dr. McFarland. It was sticking out from the sample of the Amblestegium (from the moss collection) plant. Under the EA 4 lense of the microscope, the worm-like cyanobacteria photosynthetic organism appeared small. Moreover, with the EA 10 lense the worm appeared skinny and very long. Once I used the exclusive Japan lense I captured a good image of it because it projected the organism the greatest and produced the best image out all three lenses. To create or perfect the images below, Dr. McFarland showed me how to use Photoshop to crop and make the images appear much better.

Finally, at the end of my observation before I placed my MicroAquarium back in its appropriate section, Dr. McFarland instructed me to replace the water that may have been lost somehow, by adding more to it with the clear water bottle that he provided. Overall, I observed more organisms last time, but the two organisms that I did observe this time were very original and new to my eyes; although there was only one of each of the two organisms besides the ciliates this time.

 

Below is an image of the Actinosphaerium that I edited under the assistance of Dr. McFarland using Photoshop.



 

Below is an image of the Oscillatoria Splendida that I edited under the assistance of Dr. McFarland using Photoshop.
 

 
References:

Cook R, McFarland K. 2013. General Botany 111 Laboratory Manual. 14th ed, Knoxville (TN).155-157 p.

Citation: (Cook and McFarland 2013)

Forest H.1954. Handbook of Algae. The University of Tennessee Press. 387 p. Figure 13.

Citation: (Forest 1954)

Hedley S and Patterson D. 1996. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa “A Colour Guide”. Corringham Road, London: Manson Publishing. 169 p. Figure 394.

Citation: (Hedley and Patterson 1996)

 

1 comment:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but brink back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete